9b. Employing Foreign Nationals (Sponsorship)

In most cases, unless a foreign national (including those from the EU) has a current document issued by the Home Office which indicates that the holder is permitted to stay in the United Kingdom indefinitely (which includes settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme), then they are unable to work for you.

(Please refer to Eligibility to Work in the UK guidance). The only exception to this is if the role for which they are being employed is on the shortage occupations list or the skilled worker list.

Employers will need to make sure that the job description matches the job exactly – for example, Chefs are eligible for Skilled Worker visa, but Cooks are not. To employ workers from overseas, you would need...

Member's content

On this page

Information regarding employing foreign nationals.

Sign up to continue reading this content and gain access to our Regular Member content